Thought for today:
The Twelve Steps are tools to help us find a life again. We can finally place first things first, and improve our attitude in the face of life’s frustrations. We have found a new basis for living, a formula that works in spite of tough times.
We can’t deny that there are forces that will work against our solvency at times.
- A corporate takeover will leave some without jobs.
- Technologies, as wonderful as they are, can also cause massive unemployment from job automation.
- Attending school is a wonderful way to advance your career, can also awfully expensive, and the coursework may become outdated sooner than we had hoped.
- Hedge funds and market-makers have servers that make lightening speed money transactions in the stock market that can eat away at the profits in our 401k plan.
- Aging can start to slow our memories.
In the end, we find hope for a better life in spite of external forces. We learn to think about life, about learning, and about loving, differently than before.
In the Twelfth Step we practice carrying the message of a sane, spiritual attitude toward money and life to those who will hear it.
DA Step 12:
Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other debtors and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
A member shares:
“How do I practice these principles in all my affairs?
“I’m not stupid. I know that life is tough. But since I’ve taken all the Steps and found an approach to life that works.
“If I’m honest, I never would have wanted this life of Spending Plans and rigorous honesty, but now that I have it, I know I’m better off than ever.”
What can we do to “practice these principles in all our affairs”?
- We can live our lives to the fullest, maintaining our spending plans and action plans, staying solvent.
- As we carry the message of solvency to the newcomer in DA, our own solvency improves.
- We can stand up for ourselves when we need to.
- We don’t want to be mentally lazy. We can keep our brains stimulated with sharing, spiritual awakening, with doing our numbers, new discoveries and brain strengthening exercises. Elder homes have many whose minds are diminishing before their bodies. With daily mental practice, our chances are better than average.
- We can take advantage of productivity and scientific improvements in our workplaces and homes. We don’t shy away from new conveniences and health improvements that improve our quality of life.
- People are living longer each year. If we hold it together and take care of ourselves, we will see amazing breakthroughs in health and longevity. If we are open to understanding and using these technologies we will find new avenues for growth and prosperity.
Am I practicing these principles of solvency, growth and self-care in all my affairs?
Meditation for today:
Sometimes there will be pressures – ties when it will seem like there are powers much greater at work than we can defend ourselves against. We may feel like the underdog one day, and triumphant the next.
We need to be willing to speak up when we uncover injustice, and work for justice when we have the voice to do so. We are defending our frightened inner child when we do this. It’s not to say that we need to be obnoxious. It means that we can practice finding a voice to add to the dialogue of life.
Affirmations for today:
I am responsible for the effort. My Higher Power is responsible for the results.
The meditations in the DailyOm are especially compatible with all faiths, and with the Twelve Steps.
If you have a great affirmation, feel free to post it here on this page by registering or logging into WordPress. We further our recovery when we share our experience, strength and hope with other members. If you are new to this blog, check out our overview of the program of recovery from compulsive debting. If you like this post, please click one of the like/share buttons on the site. Some links on this page bring you to other sites. Clicking the book image brings you to information about purchasing it. If you buy something it helps support this blog with a small commission, which does not add to your cost.
Copyright 2015, PlentyOfTimeMoneyAndLove.com.